Planning Application to Build Office and Apartment Blocks on Royal Hotel Car Park (now withdrawn)
This application, to build a two storey B1 office block at the front and 28 residential apartments behind, backing onto the Bath Grounds, was submitted in June 2017. This would have superceded the previously granted permission to build a single storey "kiosk" and two storey "pavilion", granted in 2014. However this application was withdrawn in July 2018 after significant objections and without being considered by the District Council Planning Committee.
All the information concerning this application is detailed on the North West Leicestershire District council website planning section/portal (See link on RHS).
Representatives from the Friend’s Committee attended the Town Council Planning Committee meeting earlier this summer where the application was unanimously opposed by the Town Council, for the following reasons:
- The planned buildings do not complement or enhance the heritage assets in the immediate vicinity: The Royal Hotel, Rawdon Terrace, Bath Grounds, Loudon Memorial and Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.
- The layout and density is unacceptable, leading to the over intensive development of the site
- The buildings are overbearing for the properties on Rawdon Terrace. Leading to their properties being overlooked and a loss of privacy.
- Loss of outlook from the historic Bath Grounds towards the Royal Hotel.
- Insufficient car parking provision which is contrary to the planning authority's policy on the provision of car parking.
- The £50,000 contribution for off- site affordable housing is unacceptable. This contribution is well below the £140,000 off-site contribution that should be provided if the Local Plan policy is adhered to.
The Friends' Committee have also submitted an objection letter which can be downloaded from the button on the right.
Although the Friends are keen to get this area improved we want to ensure that it is the right development for this unique heritage setting - we feel that the development is ‘over bearing’ for its setting amongst the other heritage assets of the Ashby Conversation Area, particularly the Bath Grounds.
Many of our followers signed against the original applications in 2012 - 2014 plans, which at the time were one and two storey buildings. Application 17/00761/FULM proposed two and three storey buildings.
We also had concerns about the knock on effect of lack of allocated parking for the flats.
THE ROYAL HOTEL CLOSED DOWN IN MARCH 2018 - THE FRIENDS ARE IN CLOSE COMMUNICATION WITH BOTH THE TOWN COUNCIL AND THE DISTRICT COUNCIL AND WILL REPORT ANY DEVELOPMENTS AS WE RECEIVE THEM.
THE FRIENDS CONTACTED ENGLISH HERITAGE TO REQUEST THAT THE ROYAL HOTEL WAS PLACED ON THEIR BUILDINGS AT RISK REGISTER AND THIS WAS ACHIEVED IN 2021.